A respiratory illness outbreak has been declared in the Wilkie and District Health Centre – Long Term Care effective January 14, 2016. Currently the Wilkie and District Health Centre is the only facility in the health region with outbreak precautions in place, and the staff are working diligently in applying optimal infection prevention and control precautions which include:
- Visitor restrictions are in place and visitor restriction notices are posted at patient doorways.
- Patients or residents who are ill with respiratory symptoms have been placed on respiratory precautions and will be restricted to their rooms until free from symptoms.
- Appropriate medication treatment or prophylaxis has been initiated.
- Admissions, transfers and discharges are affected and will be triaged.
Please do not visit our health facilities if you are ill. Some things you can do in your community to help stop the spread of illness:
- If you are ill, stay at home, contact your doctor if symptoms are severe.
- Cover your cough,
- Get immunized, and
- Wash your hands thoroughly, properly and frequently, particularly before and after washroom use, blowing your nose, and after touching surfaces.